Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Early Judgement

Last week, I watched a tamil part-action part-suspense movie onscreen(my first) with some friends. Sa-ro-ja. What an old-fashioned name! I wasn't in the least excited despite claims that it was a must-watch movie. A tamil thriller? With no gory scenes or police chases? A comedy of sorts?? Bah.

Now, I'm not the kind who pays attention to the little details, remembering lines that make me laugh or scenes that make me cringe. It's more about the whole package. Entertainment of this kind with your thinking cap on is guaranteed dissapointment. But when the cracks become obvious or it gets too cliche, I tend to lose interest quicker than quick sand..

With that said, Saroja held up pretty well.

Of course, I didn't recognize a single face, save a couple- neither the innumerable soap stars, except for Radhika(distant memory of my grandparents having watched Sakthi(?)) nor the cast of Chennai 600028. An average TV watcher might have gasped and smiled, it was a TV star-studded affair..(for those who are wondering, yes I don't follow tamil cinema/sitcoms. And no, I'm not a peter- I hope :P). Used to more glamorous stuff, be it screenplay or the star power, this was a definite change. No complicated plots, super-human powers, breathtaking scenery or irritating clowns cloaked as comedians..

Believable story-line, not very dramatic(++) though as usual- the second half was a tad slower than the first, silly jokes without extra characters (Vivek, Vadivelu and the like- BYE BYE BYE!!!), a bit of suspense(+), very little sentimental crap(+++) and a decent ending. Surprise, surprise- I liked the movie!

It was a good thing I hadn't read a review before hand(another first for me). To think I had finally liked a recent movie without reservation and then find it was a copy of
Judgement Night. Yuck! I'm disgusted now.. whatever happened to originality people?!?!

Immitation is the best form of flattery, they say.

So, do watch Saroja if you haven't, atleast for time-pass aaram se! ;-)

3 comments:

Laxman.M said...

eventhough saroja is copy but d comedy plot is completely different. venkat prabhu has unique style of his own ... at d end of the day the money spent was worth after watching d movie. good film 2 watch!!!!!!!!!!

Ragav said...

happened to see ur blog. Recently saw coffee with anu saroja team. Venkat, unlike other directors agrees tht this plot from lot of eng movies like evil dead etc etc ...but the comedy part is amazing ..saw already twice!

AjAY said...

mokka review